Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP* ATP* is offline

Default Economics of transmission

"Ignoramus23784" wrote in message
On 2008-09-26, Michael Koblic wrote:
I am not sure if I am going crazy or the world around me is:

I am going around trying to price out a project: To reduce motor speed
using
a pulley system by 16:1 would cost me in pulleys alone $50 using a local
supplier (2 6" and 2 1.5" pulley). I have just come back from an auction
where one could buy several drill pressess for around $40. For this I
have
two step pulleys, a motor, a shaft, some bearings etc.

What you are paying for when you buy from local supplier, is for
capital, space, and personnel needed to store all kinds of pulleys
that are in stock. Spending $50 is a lot cheaper than driving around
and wasting days in auctions.

Auctions have their place, but usually what you find there is not what
you need immediately.

My garage and back yard is a testament to that!