Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default New roof

In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"olddog" wrote in message

How much should I put away for the roof? I'm guessing $2000 (or more) due
to the fact the old roof will have to be removed. Nothing special the
new roof. Middle of the line shingles. I plan to sell the house in about
15 years when we'd like to cash out and move to a smaller town. Is $2k
enough?

Thanks,

olddog

Yep, that is about the cost of removing the old roof and paying for the dump
fees. Now you have to add in the cost of the new material and labor. If
you plan to move in 15 years, get a 30 year shingle so it still looks decent
when you sell.

Very amusing, Edwin. Yes, OP, 2k is not enough. I just paid nearly 10k
for an extremely simple, shallow roof on a 1200 sq. ft. (plus 2-car
garage) house. That was for somewhat more pricey dimensional shingles,
new gutters, and the replacement of about 20 sheets of plywood.

Also agree with other posters who suggest calling local roofers. "But
the guys on a.h.r. said..." isn't going to count for much in your
negotiations.