Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mkirsch1@rochester.rr.com is offline

Default Are old microwave ovens built better than the new ones?

On Sep 24, 10:17*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.

I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could
wire a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.

So is this microwave worth saving?

Unless you are an electronics whiz, and have an identical unit with a
known good board to scavenge for parts, no. It's unlikely that you
will be able to obtain parts, and even if you can, you may find that
the parts are far more costly than replacing the unit, even with a
higher grade model.

I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered"
to where they may not be the best for the long run.

Your opinion?

First off, there are more places than Walmart that sell microwaves.
Try an appliance store.

Second off, yes they are value engineered. Think about how much your
old microwave cost and how long ago that was. Look at what a new
microwave costs, and how much less a dollar buys you now than then.
Something had to give, and that something was the quality and
reliability of the product.