Posted to alt.home.repair
Bishoop[_2_] Bishoop[_2_] is offline

Default Lawn mower belt replacement

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Bishoop" wrote:

The problem is that I cannot see just how the belt cover is attached.
The
parts drawing does not show any screws that's why I assume it's a push-on
fit. Maybe I'll wait til winter when the grass doesn't need cutting so
often, pry the cover off and if it won't go back on, order a new. Or
maybe
just order a new cover before I start the project.

The problem is that your experience with mechanical things is not up to
the challenge, which is why I suggested taking it to a shop. If you're
intimidated by a plastic cover, you aren't going to be able to do much
else even if you do get the cover off in one piece.

Thanks for your concern. I think my mechanical ability is quite adequate.
During my 30+ year working life as an EE I had the opportunity to design
many small mechanical parts. I also know that some things are not designed
to be reused after disassembly. One of them is push-on plastic parts. I
was simply trying to get advanced info from someone that had hopefully
removed the cover. Fore warned is fore armed.

I quickly put aside the suggestion from one poster that if the belt cover
could *not* be reused it would be OK to run without it. That would just be
asking to pick up some stick, rock or other foreign material while mowing
and possibly break the belt and/or stripping the gears in the transmission.