Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawn mower belt replacement

Has anyone replaced the drive belt on a Lawn-Boy Insight self propelled lawn
mower?

I'd like to try it myself but I'm not sure how far to take the mower apart
to replace the belt. There is a *belt cover* that if it can be removed
would sure make the job allot easier. According to the Lawn-Boy parts
manual the cover (plastic) just pushes on and not screwed in place. I'm
afraid to pry it off in fear of it not going back on.

I think the belt is not up to the task after 3-1/2 years of cutting really
thick St. Augustine grass here in Florida. I seem to be doing a lot more
pushing that when it was new. It takes me 1-1/2 hours to do the job every
four days from about May thru October. The rest of the year of course is
less frequently. I would estimate the belt has 300~400 hours of use.

Any suggestions? Thanks....

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Bishoop" wrote:

Has anyone replaced the drive belt on a Lawn-Boy Insight self propelled lawn
mower?

I'd like to try it myself but I'm not sure how far to take the mower apart
to replace the belt. There is a *belt cover* that if it can be removed
would sure make the job allot easier. According to the Lawn-Boy parts
manual the cover (plastic) just pushes on and not screwed in place. I'm
afraid to pry it off in fear of it not going back on.

I think the belt is not up to the task after 3-1/2 years of cutting really
thick St. Augustine grass here in Florida. I seem to be doing a lot more
pushing that when it was new. It takes me 1-1/2 hours to do the job every
four days from about May thru October. The rest of the year of course is
less frequently. I would estimate the belt has 300~400 hours of use.

Any suggestions? Thanks....

Take it to the mower repair shop.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bishoop wrote:
Has anyone replaced the drive belt on a Lawn-Boy Insight self propelled lawn
mower?

I'd like to try it myself but I'm not sure how far to take the mower apart
to replace the belt. There is a *belt cover* that if it can be removed
would sure make the job allot easier. According to the Lawn-Boy parts
manual the cover (plastic) just pushes on and not screwed in place. I'm
afraid to pry it off in fear of it not going back on.

I think the belt is not up to the task after 3-1/2 years of cutting really
thick St. Augustine grass here in Florida. I seem to be doing a lot more
pushing that when it was new. It takes me 1-1/2 hours to do the job every
four days from about May thru October. The rest of the year of course is
less frequently. I would estimate the belt has 300~400 hours of use.

Any suggestions? Thanks....

Quit being so timid and just go for it. It's not brain surgery.

The cover is likely held on by push tabs. You can see them if you look
carefully. Squeeze, and wiggle, don't force the cover off, and it will
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Bishoop wrote:
[...]

The problem is that I cannot see just how the belt cover is attached. The
parts drawing does not show any screws that's why I assume it's a push-on
fit. Maybe I'll wait til winter when the grass doesn't need cutting so
often, pry the cover off and if it won't go back on, order a new. Or maybe
just order a new cover before I start the project.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Bishoop" wrote:

The problem is that I cannot see just how the belt cover is attached. The
parts drawing does not show any screws that's why I assume it's a push-on
fit. Maybe I'll wait til winter when the grass doesn't need cutting so
often, pry the cover off and if it won't go back on, order a new. Or maybe
just order a new cover before I start the project.

The problem is that your experience with mechanical things is not up to
the challenge, which is why I suggested taking it to a shop. If you're
intimidated by a plastic cover, you aren't going to be able to do much
else even if you do get the cover off in one piece.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Bishoop" wrote:

The problem is that I cannot see just how the belt cover is attached.
The
parts drawing does not show any screws that's why I assume it's a push-on
fit. Maybe I'll wait til winter when the grass doesn't need cutting so
often, pry the cover off and if it won't go back on, order a new. Or
maybe
just order a new cover before I start the project.

The problem is that your experience with mechanical things is not up to
the challenge, which is why I suggested taking it to a shop. If you're
intimidated by a plastic cover, you aren't going to be able to do much
else even if you do get the cover off in one piece.

Thanks for your concern. I think my mechanical ability is quite adequate.
During my 30+ year working life as an EE I had the opportunity to design
many small mechanical parts. I also know that some things are not designed
to be reused after disassembly. One of them is push-on plastic parts. I
was simply trying to get advanced info from someone that had hopefully
removed the cover. Fore warned is fore armed.

I quickly put aside the suggestion from one poster that if the belt cover
could *not* be reused it would be OK to run without it. That would just be
asking to pick up some stick, rock or other foreign material while mowing
and possibly break the belt and/or stripping the gears in the transmission.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Bishoop" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Bishoop" wrote:

[...]

Careful or I'm going to start pulling out the engineer jokes. Do you
really think a *belt cover* would fall into the category of sacrificial
parts?

Snap-on plastic covers are everywhere, on every thing. Fast forward to
the 21st century and learn how to deal with them. If you snap off a tab
or two, you can fashion a replacement fastener of some manner or another
yourself, or order the new part at that time.

*Feel* where the barbs are, around the perimeter, with judicious prying,
etc, and then *feel* how to release them. If you can't do that, you're
not an engineer, you're just another pencil-pushing number cruncher.

Hell, you've got the exploded diagram of the thing right in front of you.

I don't remember now which car company it was, sent every newly hired
engineer down to the production floor to crank wrenches for six months,
before they turned them loose in an office. I'd have made it five years,
but otherwise agree with the idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

snip

*Feel* where the barbs are, around the perimeter, with judicious prying,
etc, and then *feel* how to release them. If you can't do that, you're
not an engineer, you're just another pencil-pushing number cruncher.

I wish we were in the same area. Maybe you could use that pencil to
*judiciously* release the barbs.

Hell, you've got the exploded diagram of the thing right in front of you.

Maybe an explosive would work to remove the cover on the actual mower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bishoop wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Bishoop" wrote:

[...]

I have a Lawnboy approximately 2 years old. Personal Pace. I use it
commercially. Good mower.
There should be a black plastic shroud on the top rear between the
handles. There should be 2 large screws recessed into the cover. Takes a
large philips screwdriver to remove them. The cover comes right off. The
only trouble I've had is when you put it back on, there are 2 tabs on
the top front that you have to be sure to get into their slots. Other
than that, a piece of pie....errr cake.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://tinyurl.com/3zx37a

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://tinyurl.com/3zx37a

Need help with lawn mower ritpg Home Repair 1 June 2nd 08 07:55 PM
Craftsman lawn mower scalps lawn- need advice George Abbot Home Repair 14 May 31st 08 02:27 PM
Lawn Mower Help kd3yt Home Repair 6 December 14th 06 10:48 AM
Riding Mower driving belt replacement (Craftsman) [email protected] Home Repair 1 April 16th 05 12:01 AM
Help with riding lawn mower belt [email protected] Metalworking 8 April 8th 05 02:59 PM