Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Chandelier advice...

RBM wrote:
"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...
"elened" wrote in message
Hello, I am thinking of buying a chandelier for my dining room and
have found my 'dream' chandelier at an auction in Virginia (far
away). However, this chandelier happens to be a bit bigger than what
I'm accustomed to and wanted to get your advice as to whether I
should go for it or not.

My dining room is 12' 8" x 13' 5" with 8' 8" ceilings and the
chandelier is a sort of chunky brass thing 30" tall by 32" diameter -
Chapman Brass Chandelier in the Chippendale taste, electrified, with
six scroll arm branches and a central turned and paneled column with
a ball pendant. It is not new or shiny and would go well with my
ecclectic / rustic furniture.
My question is: do you think this chandelier would be too big for my
dining room? And might it be too heavy (27 Ib) for the ceiling (old
farm house)
Any advice would be very appreciated!
--Elena

Assuming that your table is full size (at least 40" wide) it should be
OKAY. Your opinion is the only one that really matters.

Mine is 27" wide and about 30" tall in a smaller room with 8' ceiling.

Most people buy and install something that is far too small for the room
because the bigger ones cost too much.

I can't see it from here, you may be able to from the attic; the older
boxes MAY BE far more secure and sturdy than more recent ones. In most 60
year and older installations a scrap of wood was run between the joist and
the metal box was secured to that. Later installs use a metal bracket
and the newest are just plastic boxes nailed to a joist.

BTW, the "proper height" is 30" above the table. A lot of folks hang
them much too high also.

--
Colbyt

If it looks good to you, go for it. I wouldn't be to concerned about the
weight. Garden variety ceiling boxes are good for something like 35 pounds,
and old boxes, either screwed to framing or attached to a steel bar are very
strong

There are ceiling fan boxes that can be installed without cutting a
larger hole in the ceiling. like this:

http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-7637/Detail

nate

--