Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default shocking product from China

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 22:45:20 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

We have been cleaning up after yet another Hurricane and my wife was
putting back outside a mirror (designer type in frame) outside. So the better
we might look around a corner...

The mirror had a mark in the metal area - and it was mentioned in passing.
I figured the typical blackened mirror from a scratch...

Wrong! - The break in the rear surface (protection layer) was small but in
several areas. A long complex fuzzy deep brick RED
(not black as in silver oxide) upon examination, I discovered it to be

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnabar

Mercury! How can that be. Is there not an import regulation ? or export
regulation ?

A hasmat item.

Martin
--