Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Dishwasher still leaving haze even without using any soap

On Sep 25, 8:30*am, wrote:
Last week I posted pictures of my dishwasher that was leaving a cloudy
haze on the glass. The very helpful suggestions were to try it with
less soap as it might be soap buildup. So I ran it with just vinegar
in the soap dispenser, rinse and a few cups in the tub. But still I
got the same haze. It does seem to be cleaning the glasses fine as I
smeared peanut butter over them, and they came out clean.

Could the inside plumbing of the machine be so full of hard water
deposits to be causing this? Will repeated applications of vinegar
clean it up or do I need to call a professional?

The odd thing is the cloudy haze goes right away as soon as I rinse
the glasses with water in the sink. THe pictures are he

http://www.mynonsense.net/temp/

There are some differing conditions that can generate the cloudy
glasses that you're getting....and I've expereicned some of them
personally.

Since you rinse away the cloudiness with fresh water from the
tap .......we can eliminate soft water / excess detergent etching.

I don't remember if you mentioned where the dishwasher is located
(local water hard? or soft?) but what your getting reminds me of the
results I was getting in an older home in Tustin, CA. The local water
was pretty hard & my glasses turned out cloudy.

Thinking I needed a new d/w & figuring I didn't need to worry about
ruining the old one, I ran it with 2 cups of ZEP calcium, rust, lime
remover (a cheaper but better ....imo... version of CLR). The water
in the d/w foamed like crazy & I let the d/w do a soak/ scrub cycle.

I did this several times until the water no longer foamed and the Cal-
Rod (water heating element) no longer showed hard water deposits.

Glasses came out fine thereafter but I started to use the energy
saving option to decrease the hard water build up on the Cal-Rod.

I still had to do the ZEP thing a couple times per year but the
glasses stayed clean.

cheers
Bob