Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RB[_2_] RB[_2_] is offline

Default Emco Compact 5 lathe / mill

Brian Lawson wrote:
But if a bit more money and a bit more
room is available, then get the two as separate tools. There are
quite affordable separate machines in the same size range as the
EMCO -5, for close to the same dollars.

Missed this the first time.
I don't know what the price point on this Emco is, or if there are other
considerations.
But in my observation, Emco machines, though finely built, are priced
out of proportion to their utility. And accessories are
machine-specific, expensive, and scarce.

I'd suggest (Shields up!) a new Seig Minilathe from any of the usual
suspects. Once he has the hang of that, get him the minimill next year.

Support is limitless, accessories cheap, tooling standardized.