Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Are old microwave ovens built better than the new ones?

On Sep 25, 8:32*am, wrote:
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 23:10:06 -0500, jim evans

wrote:
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 19:17:34 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.

I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could
wire a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.

So is this microwave worth saving?

I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered"
to where they may not be the best for the long run.

The cathode ray tube at the heart of a microwave gradually uses itself
up and unit puts out less and less power as it grows older. *Also,
modern microwaves generate more power to begin with than older units
did when they were new.

Cathode Ray tube? I think you mean magnatron.- Hide quoted text -

Nope: Magn'E'tron. But that's only spelling.
Unless you are a well accomplished electronics/transmitter technician
don't mess with it.
The control board also monitors that the safety switches etc. are
doing their job.
New m.wave ovens are so cheap it makes more sense, unfortunately, to
dump and get a new one. Frequently around $50 on sale here at say Wal
mart!
Someone once described m.wave ovens "As the most dangerous appliance
ever made"! Please be very careful.