Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are old microwave ovens built better than the new ones?

JIMMIE wrote:
On Sep 24, 10:17 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.

I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could
wire a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.

So is this microwave worth saving?

I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered"
to where they may not be the best for the long run.

Your opinion?

Thanks

TMT

IMO no, I would cost at least $100 to fix. is a used microwave worth
$100 when a new doest cost much more than that. On the other hand
repair manuals are available on the web and you may be able to get the
part for $50 or so. I might be willing to try something like that.

Jimmie

If you have a commercial/restaurant type microwave
oven, I'd say fix it and keep it. Those units are
of high quality and well made. The microwave oven
I'm using at the shop is one I found next to the
dumpster and it's brand new and had the manual and
clean glass turntable inside it! I've repaired a
lot of microwave ovens over the years and have had
to make the "Not economical to repair decision" on
many of them. The problem with many of the control
boards is that they are the most expensive component
of the whole oven. Many of the other parts like the
micro switches and magnetron are the same across a
number of different models and are not as hard to
find a replacement for. If you know your way around
'lectricity, and know how to use basic test equipment,
you may be able to repair it yourself. Please be very
careful because the high voltage inside is a lot more
dangerous than what you would find in a CRT type TV
set because of the high current. The microwaves can
damage the corneas of your eyes if you were to bypass
the safety interlocks and turn it on with the door
open. If you are determined to repair the oven, there
are a lot of resources online to help you. Here's one:

http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/

Good luck!

[8~{} Uncle Monster