Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Vernon[_2_] Vernon[_2_] is offline

Default Emco Compact 5 lathe / mill

On Sep 25, 7:03*am, Brian Lawson wrote:
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 22:49:48 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Vernon wrote:
(...)

I am considering buying an Emco Compact 5 lathe with mill as a gift
for my son.

In descending order of importance:

1) You are a good dad.

2) Please consider asking your son to attend a machining class
* *held at your local junior college. *I attended and had a great
* *time learning the safe and proper way to make things using
* *machine tools.

3) You and your son will be very pleased to start out with a manual
* *lathe and mill. If you pay attention, your tools will give you
* *a 'gut level' feel for the variables that will result
* *in the most productivity and best surface finish.

4) There is always time to move on to CNC after you have made some
* *parts on the manual machines. Starting with CNC would cheat you
* *of an intuitive grasp of the subject.

5) If you are patient, you will hear advice from other members of
* *this group, most of which are much more qualified than me.
* *Don't be distressed about apparent differences in opinion.

My $.000002

--Winston

Hey Winston,

Super answer!! *Wish we could all take the time to do that nice stuff.

I agree with what you say. *CNC versus manual machines is the
equivalent to doing thesis work in chemistry after the junior year.
You still need to know the basics.

Now CAD-CAM, on the other hand, is a way to produce acceptable
drawings without the draftsman's full skill-set. *Makes life and
learning easy.

To Vernon:

CNC is a "TOOL", and not a single self-related style. *You cannot
SUCCESSFULLY do any notable CNC machining until you understand the
rest of the work being done.

The Emco line of machines is quite good. *Good choice for first-timers
too. *While I personally have never owned nor operated the EMCO
lathe/mill comb or any of the combo machines (except on a field-trip
to Smithy) *I have read many articles, both ways, on their usefulness
in this usegroup, as everyone else here has too. *The general
consensus is that if a lathe/mill combo is what you can afford or all
you have room for, go for it. *But if a bit more money and a bit more
room is available, then get the two as separate tools. *There are
quite affordable separate machines in the same size range as the
EMCO -5, for close to the same dollars.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you Winston, Karl and Brian. Your much appreciated advice is
logical and re-assuring.

All the best.

Vernon