Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are old microwave ovens built better than the new ones?

Boden wrote:
jim evans wrote:
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 19:17:34 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.

I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could
wire a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.

So is this microwave worth saving?

I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered"
to where they may not be the best for the long run.

The cathode ray tube at the heart of a microwave gradually uses itself
up and unit puts out less and less power as it grows older. Also,
modern microwaves generate more power to begin with than older units
did when they were new.

There is no cathode ray tube in a microwave oven...klystrons or
magnetrons are typicaly used.

Also, they don't "generate" power.

ROTFLMAO This is too good! I wish my microwave
oven oven had a klystron. I could hack it into
an atom smasher or build a radar to detect those
Chinese ICBM's that are coming soon. OH! My tummy
hurts from laughing. I gota lay down. HE HE HE!!

[8~{} Uncle Monster