Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default crimped versus wirenutted grounds?

On Sep 24, 6:31*am, "jack" wrote:
"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"jack" wrote in message
I replaced an outlet today at a commercial site. *Now I admit I don't know
anything about commercial electrical, but around here grounds are required
to be crimped residentially; wirenutting isn't allowed.

I was surprised to see the ground was wirenutted. *I assume that if
crimping is required for residential, it would also be required for
commercial.

Is that likely to be a valid assumption or not?

I question whether it is required for residential. *Call your local
electrical inspector and ask him. *I have found that some electricians on
construction projects who have limited experience will just copy what
everyone else is doing and assume that is the correct way to go. *None of
them read a code book.

Well, the consensus seems to be that I am wrong; so maybe I will check on
it. *Though I hate to have any more contact with the authorities than I have
to; when I applied for a building permit for a shed, the inspector wondered
why I never got a permit for my deck.

I learned it in a HS adult ed course taught by an electrical inspector. *He
was perfectly clear that the only acceptable ground union was a crimp,
though he didn't know why.

Jack-

Perhaps your thought that "only acceptable ground union was a crimp"
is due to misinformation supplied by an electrical inspector who just
didn't know the real code requirements?

he did offer a not too reassuring comment that "he didn't know why"

cheers
Bob