Posted to alt.home.repair

Default crimped versus wirenutted grounds?

I replaced an outlet today at a commercial site. Now I admit I don't know
anything about commercial electrical, but around here grounds are required
to be crimped residentially; wirenutting isn't allowed.

I was surprised to see the ground was wirenutted. I assume that if crimping
is required for residential, it would also be required for commercial.

Is that likely to be a valid assumption or not?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jack" wrote in message
I replaced an outlet today at a commercial site. Now I admit I don't know
anything about commercial electrical, but around here grounds are required
to be crimped residentially; wirenutting isn't allowed.

I was surprised to see the ground was wirenutted. I assume that if
crimping is required for residential, it would also be required for
commercial.

Is that likely to be a valid assumption or not?

You must be in a place that doesn't follow the NEC, therefore you need to
follow whatever rules that place uses

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jack" wrote in message
I replaced an outlet today at a commercial site. Now I admit I don't know
anything about commercial electrical, but around here grounds are required
to be crimped residentially; wirenutting isn't allowed.

I was surprised to see the ground was wirenutted. I assume that if
crimping is required for residential, it would also be required for
commercial.

Is that likely to be a valid assumption or not?

I question whether it is required for residential. Call your local
electrical inspector and ask him. I have found that some electricians on
construction projects who have limited experience will just copy what
everyone else is doing and assume that is the correct way to go. None of
them read a code book.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"jack" wrote in message
I replaced an outlet today at a commercial site. Now I admit I don't know
anything about commercial electrical, but around here grounds are required
to be crimped residentially; wirenutting isn't allowed.

I was surprised to see the ground was wirenutted. I assume that if
crimping is required for residential, it would also be required for
commercial.

Is that likely to be a valid assumption or not?

I question whether it is required for residential. Call your local
electrical inspector and ask him. I have found that some electricians on
construction projects who have limited experience will just copy what
everyone else is doing and assume that is the correct way to go. None of
them read a code book.

Well, the consensus seems to be that I am wrong; so maybe I will check on
it. Though I hate to have any more contact with the authorities than I have
to; when I applied for a building permit for a shed, the inspector wondered
why I never got a permit for my deck.

I learned it in a HS adult ed course taught by an electrical inspector. He
was perfectly clear that the only acceptable ground union was a crimp,
though he didn't know why.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

I learned it in a HS adult ed course taught by an electrical inspector. *He
was perfectly clear that the only acceptable ground union was a crimp,
though he didn't know why.-

If the only acceptable ground is a crimp, then why do they make
"greenies", the green wirenuts with a hole in the end for running one
of your grounds out the other end to attach to a device?

http://www.idealindustries.com/prodD...d=30-292&div=7

Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Ken wrote:
If the only acceptable ground is a crimp, then why do they make
"greenies", the green wirenuts with a hole in the end for running one
of your grounds out the other end to attach to a device?

Because as at least one other has already said, _IF_ (the proverbial
"big if") it were true for the OP's jurisdiction it would be local code
restriction, not NEC...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jack" wrote in message
[...]

Jack-

Perhaps your thought that "only acceptable ground union was a crimp"
is due to misinformation supplied by an electrical inspector who just
didn't know the real code requirements?

he did offer a not too reassuring comment that "he didn't know why"

cheers
Bob