Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default Is it hard to install DSL yourself?

Cheri wrote:

I have been trying to get DSL, and they all want to send a kit (assuring
me since I am not a technical person at all) that it's very easy to
install by yourself. Has anyone here done that, and is it easy? I mean,
really easy...like any moron could do it easy? :-)

It varies. The devil is in the details. You'll need to decide whether
to connect via wire or wireless, and make sure you have the appropriate
hardware to do so. As others have said, you'll need to install the
filter(s). That should be easy, assuming your phones are relatively
new. But if your phone wiring is ancient, you may need to update parts
of it.

Probably the way to go is get the kit, try to make it work, but have a
geek friend on call if it doesn't.

I had no trouble installing mine, but when my neighbor tried, she
couldn't make it work. She and I spent some time talking to a very
pleasant young lady in India before we got our first connection. I'm
not sure they're all as good as the one who answered our call.