Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default shocking product from China

Give me a break. There is no proper or wanted need to have this there.
There isn't supposed to be there. It is a mirror. Silvery color to look into.

The resin-based polymer is a surface treatment to give a red color that was
once Cinnabar. Now paint.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 21:17:02 -0500, the infamous "Martin H. Eastburn"
scrolled the following:

Joe -

The brick red is a crystal like growing set of harry lines.
I figure a hard protective layer was put one to seal and it cracked
in the hot sun.

From the Decorative Uses section of the link you provided:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnabar

"The most popularly known use of cinnabar is in Chinese carved
lacquerware, a technique that apparently originated in the Song
Dynasty.[10] The danger of mercury poisoning may be reduced in ancient
lacquerware by entraining the powdered pigment in lacquer,[11] but
could still pose an environmental hazard if the pieces were
accidentally destroyed. In the modern jewelry industry, the toxic
pigment is replaced by a resin-based polymer that approximates the
appearance of pigmented lacquer."

Mercury! How can that be. Is there not an import regulation ? or export
regulation ?

A hasmat item.

More likely red resin-based polymer.