Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is it hard to install DSL yourself?

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 11:42:33 -0700, "Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom
wrote:

I have been trying to get DSL, and they all want to send a kit (assuring me
since I am not a technical person at all) that it's very easy to install by
yourself. Has anyone here done that, and is it easy? I mean, really
easy...like any moron could do it easy? :-)

The self-install kit includes

DSL "modem"
Splitter
Filters (to put on all extension phones, fax machines, etc)
cables
installation CD

If you follow the instructions carefully, you'll be up and running
within a few minutes. No technical skills needed. You'll get an 800
number to help if you get stuck.

Try to locate your modem away from motors, microwave ovens, neon
lights, transformers, etc. and try to pick a location close to a
phone outlet. You should also position the modem where you can easily
monitor the status lights which will help with troubleshooting. You
may have problems, although fixable, if you have a security system
that uses the phone.