Posted to sci.electronics.repair
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default What Causes These Lines on My TV?

On Sep 21, 6:19*pm, wrote:
*Stacey Chuffo wrote:

* "jim evans" wrote in message
. ..
* I have a 4 year old Sony CRT TV. *Recently it began having lines
* across the top of the screen

Not V hold. An earlier poster said bad caps in the Vertical output
stage. I concur as I replace caps for this problem frequently. If you
searched our maintenance log the keyword is 'foldover. The vertical
retrace simply hasn't finished before the next frame begins.

Yes, that's very likely the problem. A second (similar) symptom,
that the description might also match, is failure to blank during
vertical
retrace (this usually means the screen HV control needs readjusting).
The blanking failure usually gives diagonal lines all the way
up the screen, but they're closer together near the top and will
be most bothersome there.