Posted to alt.home.repair
jack[_8_] jack[_8_] is offline

Default crimped versus wirenutted grounds?

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"jack" wrote in message
I replaced an outlet today at a commercial site. Now I admit I don't know
anything about commercial electrical, but around here grounds are required
to be crimped residentially; wirenutting isn't allowed.

I was surprised to see the ground was wirenutted. I assume that if
crimping is required for residential, it would also be required for
commercial.

Is that likely to be a valid assumption or not?

I question whether it is required for residential. Call your local
electrical inspector and ask him. I have found that some electricians on
construction projects who have limited experience will just copy what
everyone else is doing and assume that is the correct way to go. None of
them read a code book.

Well, the consensus seems to be that I am wrong; so maybe I will check on
it. Though I hate to have any more contact with the authorities than I have
to; when I applied for a building permit for a shed, the inspector wondered
why I never got a permit for my deck.

I learned it in a HS adult ed course taught by an electrical inspector. He
was perfectly clear that the only acceptable ground union was a crimp,
though he didn't know why.