Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default New Dryer is Blowing the Circuit Breaker - HELP!

On Sep 23, 9:32*pm, wrote:
On Sep 23, 11:15*pm, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

wrote in message

The situation is: * The house is 100 years old. Has 100 amp breaker
service. Bought a new dryer and after 15 minutes of running, it blows
the circuit breaker. I would just put in a bigger circuit breaker but
me and electricity don't get along very well.

I reset the breaker and turn on the new dryer - the breaker trips
again after a few minutes. *I have now stopped using the new dryer.

The dryer is about 30 feet from the breaker box. * *There used to be a
very old dryer that I assume worked just fine - we just bought the
house. *It has a three prong plug.

My question is: * *Just up the circuit breaker 5 amps and install one
a bit stronger? * Re-run some lower gauge wire and up the circuit
breaker by 5 amps from what it is already?

This is my kids house and is in the middle of nowhere (Ernest) *PA.
He has been trying to get an electrician to come out to the house but
it is like pulling teeth. *I will likely need to do it myself when I
go visit. *I just don't to burn the house down because I overloaded
the wire/circuit.

Suggestions - Hints?

Look at the back of the dryer and see how many amps the dryer is suspose to
use. *Check to see if the breaker is that large or larger. * If not , you
will need a larger breaker and wire to match going to the dryer. *Check all
connections in the breaker box and the dryer socket.

If the breaker is large enough and the wiring is tight, then you may have a
defective dryer, or the breaker is defective.

Thank you! * I guess a new dryer takes more amps to run then the older
dryer. *With 100 amp service coming into the house - I assume that
means with everything running, the house can't have more then 100 amps
of draw on the power coming into the house before the main circuit
trips??? *I am not a electrician so I apologize if the question seems
dumb ... *thanks again for your help!

Bill- Hide quoted text -

Newer equipment usualy takes less amps, maybe something on the dryer
is bad, an amp meter could test surge and run load