Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default shocking product from China

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 11:09:33 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article fbeaufortcounty, Al Patrick wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

Conveniently ignoring the fact that it was Bill Clinton, not G.W. Bush, who
ensured that China was awarded "most favored nation" trading status...

I'm conservative, capitalist, right-wing and probably on your side. I hate
many things
that Billy Boy and Hillary did . . . BUT The first time I recall China and it's
"most
favored nation" status was under ol' Tricky Dicky!

Sure, to woo the Chinese further away from the Soviet orbit. And very
successful he was too. A bold strategic move.

Excuse me, I misspoke; should have read "*permanent* status". Prior to Slick
Willie, China's MFN status had to be renewed periodically (annually, IIRC) to
remain in effect.

Which ****ed off American businessmen no end because they couldn't
tell if their suppliers and investments in factories would be
competitive from one year to the next, and the annual process was
always being held hostage by special interests (such as US unions
under the guise of promoting 'human rights'). Clinton fixed it, as
his corporate bosses wanted, and nobody afterward is likely to want to
change things. ;-)
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany