Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default shocking product from China

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 22:44:30 -0400, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrolled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 13:58:09 -0400, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrolled the following:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
In article , Tim Wescott
wrote:
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 10:33:45 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:

There are **NO** regulations in China. Haven't you been reading the
news? They feed their own kids seriously tainted milk! Antifreeze is
used as a sweetener in toothpaste, permitted by LAW! They use
lead-based
paint on toys sold to the US.

Where have you been?

Jon

They have regulations, they just ignore them if it'll make money for the
friends of those in high places (see "Bush Administration").

Conveniently ignoring the fact that it was Bill Clinton, not G.W. Bush,
who
ensured that China was awarded "most favored nation" trading status...

Which is why genuine economists consider Clinton to be an economic
conservative. He bought almost the whole program: "free" trade,
deregulation, limited welfare, balanced budgets, inflation-fighting, and
so
on. He was a Washington Consensus guy, from NAFTA to the IMF and the World
Bank.

kaff

Whatsamatta, you don't like economic conservatives? d8-)

You made him sound so...so _human_, Ed. I can't get over it.

Bush is, too. The difference is that Bush doesn't have a clue about how
the
pieces are supposed to fit together. No Rhodes Scholar he, Bush just
follows
the economic programs he's told.

I'd be willing to bet that most of our Presidents have -not- been
Rhodes Scholars and have pretty much just listened to their economic
advisors all along.

Yup. But Clinton was not just listening to his advisors. In fact, he often
didn't follow the programs suggested by Robert Reich, even though he valued
Reich's economic expertise.

He was dat li'l four foot tall effer, wunt he?

And it's a good thing Jimmy Carter was a smart guy who knew enough about
economics to recognize that he needed to deep-six the entire Democratic
economic philosophy. When he put Paul Volcker in charge, and Volcker started
squeezing the economy to wring out the inflation, the Dems were screaming
bloody murder. But Volcker was right; Reagan kept him on to finish the job;
and he broke the back of inflation. Any Dem who was as clueless as Bush is
would have kept following his party's doctrine until the country imploded.
In fact, Bush almost did that himself -- and still might.

Shrub is Shrub; no further comment is necessary.

It's such a pleasure to be able to forget about him now. The damage has been
done, and we'll be looking to others to try to undo it. It perks up my whole
day.

Aw, hell, much of the damage he's done hasn't even filtered fully into
the system yet. Even with the Dems in control, we'll be aching from
his crap for long time to come. If OhDamnit and the evil Dems pick up
the loose strings he left regarding our civil rights, we's in a heap
'o trouble, pard.

Oh a happier note, my copy of _The Way We'll Be: The Zogby Report on
the Transformation of the American Dream_ came today. I'm hoping for
some time on the weekend to open it.

Help Save the Endangered Plumb Bobs From Becoming Extinct!