Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default shocking product from China

Most of the mirrors are made in Mexico at the Silver mine.
There was a rather good show on that the other day on Science channel.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Steve Lusardi wrote:
Come on guys, this isn't a China thing. We make them that way as well and
have for a very long time. The amount of mercury amalgam used is miniscule
and of no hazard to the environment. There is a lot of China bashing going
on right now, but only some of it is justified and this is not one of them.
These products are purchased by us. I don't see any chinamen with guns to
our heads and until we are willing to work for a hundred dollars a week,
this isn't going to change.
Steve

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
We have been cleaning up after yet another Hurricane and my wife was
putting back outside a mirror (designer type in frame) outside. So the
better
we might look around a corner...

The mirror had a mark in the metal area - and it was mentioned in passing.
I figured the typical blackened mirror from a scratch...

Wrong! - The break in the rear surface (protection layer) was small but in
several areas. A long complex fuzzy deep brick RED
(not black as in silver oxide) upon examination, I discovered it to be

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnabar

Mercury! How can that be. Is there not an import regulation ? or export
regulation ?

A hasmat item.

Martin
--