Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy Christopher Tidy is offline

Default Looking for a hard felt washer 1/2" x 1" x 1/8"

David Billington wrote:
Christopher Tidy wrote:

Christopher Tidy wrote:

David Billington wrote:

Christopher Tidy wrote:

Hi folks,

I am repairing an electric motor for a friend. The centrifugal
switch is broken. It needs a replacement felt washer as the
original has worn down. It needs to be a hard felt washer (not the
kind which is rubber mixed with felt) with dimensions 1/2" (hole)
by 1" (overall diameter) by 1/8" (thickness). Anyone know of a
source? I can send money by PayPal if anyone has one they're
willing to sell.

Many thanks,

Chris Tidy

I've gotten felt sheet and bobs made by these guys in the past
http://www.hardy-hanson.co.uk/ , maybe you can blag a sample. If you
needed 1/4" sheet I could probably send you a piece.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've sent them an e-mail. I would take you
up on the offer of a piece of sheet, except 1/4" is definitely too
thick.

I have now received two felt washers of different grades from Hardy &
Hanson. The denser grade looks most suitable. Thanks for the suggestion.

Best wishes,

Chris

You mentioned elsewhere that this was an old motor long out of
production. Induction repulsion start maybe. I have one on a compressor,
now on loan to a mate and it is the only one I have run across. I got it
as a recon and it has never given any problems. It is the only motor I
have seen with timing. There is a clamp at the back of the motor to
allow the starter phasing to be altered and it effects the direction and
starting perfomance. The centrifugal assembly appears to be made out of
several dozen, at least, copper segments the flip out when the speed is
high enough. Its largish, cast iron frame and heavy but has worked
without problems for the last 25 years and maybe 3 times older than
that. Never had the need to dismantle it though, which I have had to do
with a couple of newer motors with centrifugal start switches, Gryphon
motors IIRC.

I don't think so. It looks like a regular capacitor start motor to me.
But I would like to see one of those repulsion start motors. I've yet to
see one. Do they look very different on the outside?

I am starting to think that perhaps the insulation in the motor is failing.

Best wishes,

Chris