Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default shocking product from China

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 10:33:45 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
We have been cleaning up after yet another Hurricane and my wife was
putting back outside a mirror (designer type in frame) outside. So the
better we might look around a corner...

The mirror had a mark in the metal area - and it was mentioned in
passing. I figured the typical blackened mirror from a scratch...

Wrong! - The break in the rear surface (protection layer) was small but
in several areas. A long complex fuzzy deep brick RED (not black as in
silver oxide) upon examination, I discovered it to be

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnabar

Mercury! How can that be. Is there not an import regulation ? or
export regulation ?

There are **NO** regulations in China. Haven't you been reading the
news? They feed their own kids seriously tainted milk! Antifreeze is
used as a sweetener in toothpaste, permitted by LAW! They use lead-based
paint on toys sold to the US.

Where have you been?

Jon

They have regulations, they just ignore them if it'll make money for the
friends of those in high places (see "Bush Administration").

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com