Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default shocking product from China

From what I hear, nobody accepts the blame for such things. The
importers just say that they didn't know. And they seem to get away
with it. ----Like the lead paint issues that come up every now and
then. I always thought "caveat emptor" was Latin, but I guess it's
really Chinese.

I think many of us old farts alive today will see China begin to implode
from its own travesties.

I guess all you have to do is to have a container filled with product
over there and it appears at your door here, for about $5000.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------
Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
We have been cleaning up after yet another Hurricane and my wife was
putting back outside a mirror (designer type in frame) outside. So the
better
we might look around a corner...

The mirror had a mark in the metal area - and it was mentioned in passing.
I figured the typical blackened mirror from a scratch...

Wrong! - The break in the rear surface (protection layer) was small but in
several areas. A long complex fuzzy deep brick RED
(not black as in silver oxide) upon examination, I discovered it to be

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnabar

Mercury! How can that be. Is there not an import regulation ? or export
regulation ?

A hasmat item.

Martin