Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Wanderer[_3_] The Wanderer[_3_] is offline

Default Internal door hanles

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 08:49:04 +0100, Rod wrote:

TheScullster wrote:
"Dave" wrote

I did that last time I changed the door handles. Now, some of the screws
are very close to the new holes I need. ie overlapping.

Dave

You can usually cheat and knock a bradawl in alongside the existing hole
then push the grain across toward the existing hole.
It takes a bit of experience knowing how far away to position the bradawl
hole such that the wood between the new and the old hole is forced across by
the new screw to the final position you want IYSWIM.

Phil

Doesn't work so well in hardboard... :-(

Err, but the hardboard is the outer layers of a sandwich where the handles
are fixed. If the original job was done properly, there'll be solid wooden
core at that point. How else are you going to hold a door lock in place?

--
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

the dot wanderer at tesco dot net