Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Driving a vertical shaft

On 2008-09-23, Michael Koblic wrote:
How do you drive a vertical shaft with a horizontal motor mount?

I understand mitre gear, spiral gear and a worm drive. Is there another way?
I have been looking through several texts and am not having much luck. Is
there a way to do it with a chain?

You mean a roller chain? I don't think so.

I cannot see a V-belt doing it.

I can:

1) Pulley on shaft of motor.

2) un the belt up some distance -- how far depends on the width of
the belt, and thus how easy it is to twist.

3) Set two idler pulleys at about a 45 degree angle to both the
motor shaft and the vertical shaft. Bend the belt over the
idler pulleys to a pulley up at the right height on the vertical
shaft.

or:

Put the motor some distance away from the shaft, and twist the
V-belt through 90 degrees. This takes more distance. The shorter the
belt, the faster it will die.

Some sort
of friction drive instead of gears? But how good is the power transmission
in such case?

Not very. Not as good as the V-belts would be above. Flat
leather belts could handle the twist more easily than the V-belts, but
the pulleys would be larger.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564