Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Internal door hanles

Dave wrote:
Wife has decided to change 8 sets of door handles and guess what? All
the securing screws are not at the same pitch as the ones we have now :-(

What I propose to do is buy some doweling and a spade drill slightly
smaller than the dowel. If the spade drill is making too large a
diameter hole, I'll grind the side edge until it makes a tight fit for
the dowel and then glue the dowel in to provide a blank location for the
door handle attachment screws.

Can anyone see a problem with this, apart from the fact that the screws
will be going down the grain, instead of across it.

Dave

I would not choose a spade bit. Rather just an ordinary or lip & spur
wood drill.

But it might just be easier to shove some matchsticks, preferably coated
in decent PVA, into the existing holes. If needed, tap in with a hammer.
Let set, use a chisel to remove any excess. Fit new handles.

--
Rod

onset.