Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using Extension Cord with Freezer

wrote:
Hello,

I just purchased a 7 CFT Magic Chef Freezer from the Home
Depot. The place that I want to place it is about 6 feet from the
nearest electrical outlet. Reading the manual it states not to use
extension cords of any kind. Is the reason they put this on for fear
the consumer will try to use a standard electric cord and cause a fire
or is it something else? I plan on getting a 15A with a 14 gauge or 12
gauge wire. The line that it is attached to goes to a 15 amp circuit
and seeing that it hasn't tripped he line while it is running I should
be ok. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

The only thing I would worry about would
be the ends of the cords getting wet and
corroding. A lot of freezers are in places
that may get wet like a garage or basement.
I would strap the extension cord to the
wall to keep the plug and socket off the
floor.

[8~{} Uncle Monster