Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default How to move a Bridgeport

Wes wrote:
Jon Elson wrote:

The Series-II Bridgeport is a totally different machine, and MUCH larger
than the traditional (Series-I) machines everybody thinks of first. It
is about 7 feet tall, weighs 3500 Lbs or so in the manual version and
much more as a CNC. The manual machine has 15" of Y travel, the
Series-I only 12". Everything is scaled up bigger. The knee ways are
box ways instead of dovetail.

We have one like that but it is labeled a Series II Special. What makes it special other
than being a bigger BP?

The special doesn't refer to size, but something else. Did it have the
T ram? That allows you to mount multiple heads on the T, side by side.
Often used with a tracer control, but it can also be used manually to
make 2 or 3 parts at once.
It may also just have a special head, with different speed ranges or
whatever.

Jon