Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HVAC diagnosis

CJT wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote:

CJT wrote:

Uncle Monster wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

We survived Ike in extremely good shape compared to others in the
vicinity. The only significant problem is the AC unit: the
compressor won't come on.

My AC guy swapped out the start & run capacitors, bypassed the
relay, and checked all the obvious stuff. No compressor action. He
theorizes that power-line chatter at the storm's outset could have
so confused the aged system that it committed suicide trying to
keep up.

His best guess is a seized compressor piston on this 17-year old,
3-ton, Trane and he's checking with his buddies for a used
condensing unit.

Observations and suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

When you replace your unit, make sure you
have an anti short cycle timer installed.
A newer system and most electronic thermo-
stats have this feature built in. It will
prevent the contactor in the condensing
unit from slamming on and off with power
blinks or someone playing with the temper-
ature adjustment. The timer is inexpensive
and can be added to any AC condenser. I add
timers to all the systems I install if the
feature isn't there already.

http://tinyurl.com/3h4xbe

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Most thermostats, even with that feature, won't protect against power
failure induced short-cycling because they are battery operated --
they'll just keep calling for cooling through the power chatter.

My electronic thermostat doesn't. Don't you think
the designers thought of that? All the electronic
thermostats I install have a timer that works no
matter which power source is used. I do prefer
hooking them up to run on 24 vac with the batteries
as backup. If you can tell me the brand that works
the way you say they do, please tell me so I can
avoid that brand.

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Honeywell

I knew there was a reason I rarely