Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default HVAC diagnosis

Ralph Mowery wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message new system. The
system you have is 17 years old and you will spend a

lot for some used unit.

$750 vs. ~$1700. Just for the condensing unit.

YOu can either spend that money now or in a few years spend the money for a
new unit. Don't just get the condensing unit, but a whole new matching
system. You probably will save money on the power in the long run to make
up the differance.

That will almost certainly never happen. Do the math. If the
difference is $4k, and you spend $400/year on A/C electricity
costs, you'd have to drive those electricity costs to zero in
order to merely cover the interest on the $4K at 10%. It won't
happen.

Just plan on spending around $ 5000 for whole new
system.

If you are planning on moving out in a few years, then it may pay you to do
just a patch job.