Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default HVAC diagnosis

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
We survived Ike in extremely good shape compared to others in the
vicinity. The only significant problem is the AC unit: the compressor
won't come on.

My AC guy swapped out the start & run capacitors, bypassed the
relay, and checked all the obvious stuff. No compressor action. He
theorizes that power-line chatter at the storm's outset could have
so confused the aged system that it committed suicide trying to keep
up. His best guess is a seized compressor piston on this 17-year old,
3-ton, Trane and he's checking with his buddies for a used
condensing unit. Observations and suggestions would be welcome.

If he can not get it to run and wants to change to a used unit, get a
new system. The system you have is 17 years old and you will spend a
lot for some used unit.

$750 vs. ~$1700. Just for the condensing unit.

I would guess that you have the split two
piece unit. Get a new air handler to match. The new units will be
more efficient and you want all pieces to match.
Think I would look into a heat pump system. Not too much differance
it that and an air conditioner.

On the other hand, this is hurricane related and subject to complete
reimbursement by Insurance + FEMA assistance. I figure FEMA won't squawk
over a used unit but might balk at a new upgrade.

As an aside, you'd be surprised how much damage you can discover after a
hurricane-related inspection. For example virtually ALL of my 40-year old
window screens were blown out! Instead of rotating on its hinges, the side
door to the garage falls flat on the ground. Two of my cats had to have
intense psychological therapy.

As I understand it, FEMA will cover your deductible plus any unrecovered
insurance expenses (spoiled food, gas for the generator, etc.). If you have
no insurance, FEMA will cover the whole expense (up to $28,800).