Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default HVAC diagnosis

Uncle Monster wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

We survived Ike in extremely good shape compared to others in the
vicinity. The only significant problem is the AC unit: the compressor
won't come on.

My AC guy swapped out the start & run capacitors, bypassed the relay,
and checked all the obvious stuff. No compressor action. He theorizes
that power-line chatter at the storm's outset could have so confused
the aged system that it committed suicide trying to keep up.

His best guess is a seized compressor piston on this 17-year old,
3-ton, Trane and he's checking with his buddies for a used condensing
unit.

Observations and suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

When you replace your unit, make sure you
have an anti short cycle timer installed.
A newer system and most electronic thermo-
stats have this feature built in. It will
prevent the contactor in the condensing
unit from slamming on and off with power
blinks or someone playing with the temper-
ature adjustment. The timer is inexpensive
and can be added to any AC condenser. I add
timers to all the systems I install if the
feature isn't there already.

http://tinyurl.com/3h4xbe

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Most thermostats, even with that feature, won't protect against power
failure induced short-cycling because they are battery operated --
they'll just keep calling for cooling through the power chatter.