Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] stratus46@yahoo.com is offline

Default What Causes These Lines on My TV?

Stacey Chuffo wrote:
"jim evans" wrote in message
I have a 4 year old Sony CRT TV. Recently it began having lines
across the top of the screen when first turned on. At first the

lines
would go away after an extended warmup -- they've quit going

away. For
about the last 20 years I've quit getting TVs repaired. It

usually
costs about half or more as much as a new TV and after it's fixed

you
have an old TV. But, the set still has a good picture, so after

only
four years, if this is an easy thing to fix I figured I might

give it
a try. So, will this probably be an easy (read cheap) fix?

Here are pictures that illustrate the problem:
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/1373/tvlines1om3.jpg
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5002/tvlines2jh2.jpg

It looks like you need to adjust the vertical hold knob and if that

doesn't
work then adjust the vertical size knob in the back of the t.v.

Not V hold. An earlier poster said bad caps in the Vertical output
stage. I concur as I replace caps for this problem frequently. If you
searched our maintenance log the keyword is 'foldover. The vertical
retrace simply hasn't finished before the next frame begins.