Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default HVAC diagnosis

We survived Ike in extremely good shape compared to others in the vicinity.
The only significant problem is the AC unit: the compressor won't come on.

My AC guy swapped out the start & run capacitors, bypassed the relay, and
checked all the obvious stuff. No compressor action. He theorizes that
power-line chatter at the storm's outset could have so confused the aged
system that it committed suicide trying to keep up.

His best guess is a seized compressor piston on this 17-year old, 3-ton,
Trane and he's checking with his buddies for a used condensing unit.

Observations and suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.