Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Stucco Paint

On Sep 20, 11:22 pm, "SteveBell"
wrote:
Rudy wrote:
they asked me if I had an account..I told them the name of the
painter XX Co.that I had spoken to but advised I was going to be
doing it myself. The clerk said WTH, I'll give you the XX Co.
price (cash) and I got all the product for $ 50-55 per 5 gal pail

"Do you have an account with us?"
"Farmer Fred Painting does but I'm going to be doing the painting."

You were attempting to capitalize on the painter's name and account
status, and you did. Lucky for you it didn't cost you anything.

I find it interesting that you think it's okay to use the name of a
contractor - who by definition is in the business to make money - to
secure a little deal without approval nor compensation to the
contractor. That does create a big benefit - for you. Most people
settle for the free estimate and free information the contractor
provides.

Read the above slowly..The store staff ASKED the question, I didn't
say I was with the company but that I was doing it myself and that
the painter had mentioned the name of their store/product. If they
were content with offering me a discount as part of their sale,
(which turned out to be 120 gallons) I think it would have been
pretty stupid to say: "No thanks, I'd rather pay retail". While
building that home, I ended up with several "accounts" at the 'trade
price' through various suppliers that didn't have a problem offering
me the 'big benefit' and I certainly didn't turn any of them down.

Sherwin Williams gives me a professional discount of 30% on most
products. They told me to tell my clients to mention my name when they
buy paint so my clients can get the discount. I specifically asked
whether I could just have my friends and family get the discount that
way, and the store manager said that was great.

Family, friends, clients - all of them have your permission to use
your company name to get a discount when they go to SW. Would you
have the same opinion if someone got an estimate from you, kicked the
tires, told you your price was too high, then went to your paint
supplier and used your name and relationship with the paint store to
get a discount?

I'm guessing that 70% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

Better for the store, not for the not-hired contractor. The store is
getting 70% or whatever, the contractor is getting nothing.