Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stucco Paint

Does anyone have any experience with Behr Elastomeric paint? How well
will it go through this gun
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...9 0029+502673
Anthing else I need to be aware of besides preping well?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 19, 10:20*am, R.J. Johnson wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with Behr Elastomeric paint? How well
will it go through this gunhttp://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?sto...
Anthing else I need to be aware of besides preping well?

Will the unit run a #19 gun tip, everything is latex so it should.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Does anyone have any experience with Behr Elastomeric paint? How well will
it go through this gun.

Did you already buy this machine ?
When I painted our new AZ stucco house, I borrowed a good sized Campbell
Hausfield 3/4 HP machine from a neighbor. It was designed to drop the feed
tube right into the 5 gal pails and go from there. If I had it to do again,
I'd rent one from HD or such rather than buy a less capable unit and end up
with it gathering dust in the garage. BTW, I had to thin the paint about
10% to get a good flow thru the gun. That was OKd on the paint spec sheet.

I used this product
http://www.kellymoore.com/products/p...01_stuccoseala to first seal the
stucco surface (not for previously painted stucco)
After the "seal" I used their Stucco paint with the spraygun. The job has
lasted 10 years now in the AZ sun but as I drive by from time to time (I
sold the house 5 yrs ago) I see its time to paint again.

The reason I used KM paint was that a painter friend of one of the stucco
contractor came by to give me a quote on doing the painting. He told me
what paint etc that he proposed to use but since we were doing all the sub
work we could ourselves, we did our own painting (inside & out). It was a
BIG house, I used 120 gals of paint over all. One of the biggest benefits
of KM was that when I went in to get the paint, they asked me if I had an
account..I told them the name of the painter XX Co.that I had spoken to but
advised I was going to be doing it myself. The clerk said WTH, I'll give
you the XX Co. price (cash) and I got all the product for $ 50-55 per 5 gal
pail. HD couldn't touch that price of course. I checked the TECH sheets on
the KM VS the HD paint. KM had more acrylic base etc in it than did the HD
products.

We have a stucco house in Canada now. This one and a previous one up here
(and all other stucco homes) are NEVER PAINTED. The final coat (#3) up here
is a COLOR COAT with color dyes mixed right into the stucco which is then
applied with some type of texture.

I have never figured out why they don't do the same thing in the US..why
PAINT ( and then paint again, and again) when you don't have to ? A ten
year old (or 20) stucco house up here looks the same as when it was
built..no fading, no maintenance on the colored surface. Good luck with your
job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

I have never figured out why they don't do the same thing in the US..why
PAINT ( and then paint again, and again) when you don't have to ? A ten
year old (or 20) stucco house up here looks the same as when it was
built..no fading, no maintenance on the colored surface. Good luck with your
job.

Stucco in Florida is almost universally stucco on concrete block and
always painted. There has been a
great deal of building here since I arrived 10 years ago, and I don't
recall any frame construction being
done. That said, latex semi-gloss paint is the paint of choice - mainly
because a flat paint would grow
more mold/mildew. It also needs a moisture barrier, but latex "breaths"
more than oil, allowing the
inherent moisture of concrete to get out. But the main issue, I assume,
would be the growth of mildew
on bare surface.

When our condo was painted, the previous paint job was an extremely poor
one, due to NO prep.
It was mildewy, peeling in large sheets and with mildew under the
paint. When we obtained
estimates, the first was for "elastomaeric" paint, two coats, for
$27,000! Whew, we are only
eight units. Got some more bids, and had the good fortune to find a
contractor who did mainly
"commercial" work - condos and shopping centers. $6,000, two weeks of
prep, one coat of
primer and one coat of acryllic latex paint, in 2001, got us a great
paint job.

The first estimate for elastomeric was advised due to many fine cracks
in the stucco. The actual
work done used a brushable caulk which covered the cracks, does not show
through the paint
and so far has held just fine. I haven't paid much attention to
elastomeric paint and what quality
improvement it might render, but the first quote was pretty scary.

As for spraying, the only sprayer I've used is a tiny Preval sprayer,
with alkyd paint and acryllic
for different projects. Both types of paint have a recommended additive
for spraying, and a
good paint store can tell you what to use. I would not use water. The
stuff I used made the
paint very sprayable but not drippy or thin.

Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I painted my 3000 sqft stucco (rough stucco) house with a roller, after
cutting in with a brush. No mess, no cleanup, great precision in detail
work, no shrouding of trees and no spray drift. No investment in a sprayer
which I would not otherwise use.

Unless you are a pro painter and have pro spray equipment, I would stay away
from sprayers. You have to use a roller anyway to even out coverage and
streaking. Relax and listen to the birds while you paint.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
R.J. Johnson wrote in message
news
Does anyone have any experience with Behr Elastomeric paint? How well
will it go through this gun
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...9 0029+502673
Anthing else I need to be aware of besides preping well?

Posted to alt.home.repair

People do not realize that, once they paint stucco, they have to continue
painting it. Actually, stucco, that has never been painted, should be
"washed" with a thin coat of cement based slurry of the same color as the
original. Makes the stucco look like new, hides cracks, costs almost
nothing, very little effort.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"Norminn" wrote in message
m...
clipped

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 19, 1:47*pm, "Walter R." wrote:
People do not realize that, once they paint stucco, they have to continue
painting it. Actually, stucco, that has never been painted, should be
"washed" with a thin coat of cement based slurry of the same color as the
original. Makes the stucco look like new, hides cracks, costs almost
nothing, very little effort.

--
Walterwww.rationality.net
-"Norminn" wrote in message

m...

clipped

[...]

Good luck.- Hide quoted text -

Its not "little effort" its messy, its real heavy, its alot of work,
but it is best.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:

People do not realize that, once they paint stucco, they have to continue
painting it. Actually, stucco, that has never been painted, should be
"washed" with a thin coat of cement based slurry of the same color as the
original. Makes the stucco look like new, hides cracks, costs almost
nothing, very little effort.

It would match the mildewy sidewalk if we did this in Florida.
Different animals here ) The paint
also helps keep the rain out when hurricanes blow by - lots of folks
here had water intrusion
THROUGH walls. Older homes, with fewer coats of paint, were less
likely to suffer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

R.J. Johnson wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with Behr Elastomeric paint? How well
will it go through this gun

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...9 0029+502673
Anthing else I need to be aware of besides preping well?

It was always my understanding you don't paint Stucco. I creates a seal on
the outside and traps moisture. Stucco needs to breath, it's a concrete
product! There is an easier method called FOGGING and you can use an
ordinary garden sprayer to apply it.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 19:14:08 -0700, evodawg
wrote:

R.J. Johnson wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with Behr Elastomeric paint? How well
will it go through this gun

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...9 0029+502673
Anthing else I need to be aware of besides preping well?

It was always my understanding you don't paint Stucco. I creates a seal on
the outside and traps moisture. Stucco needs to breath, it's a concrete
product! There is an easier method called FOGGING and you can use an
ordinary garden sprayer to apply it.

I think you are right about not painting stucco, however, the previous
owners painted the house at least 4 different times. I was doing some
prep work today and found yellow, green, brown, and the current color
is battleship grey. I'm starting to worry about painting it because
whoever did it the last time did a very poor job. I was getting large
sheets of paint off of the house with very little effort. My plan is
to scrape off as much as I can, pressure wash it, then apply a primer
made for stucco and then two coats of stucco paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 19, 12:27*pm, "Rudy" wrote:

The reason I used KM paint was that a painter *friend of one of the stucco
contractor came by to give me a quote on doing the painting. *He told me
what paint etc that he proposed to use but since we were doing all the sub
work we could ourselves, we did our own painting (inside & out). *It was a
BIG house, I used 120 gals of paint over all. *One of the biggest benefits
of KM was that when I went in to get the paint, they asked me if I had an
account..I told them the name of the painter XX Co.that I had spoken to but
advised I was going to be doing it myself. *The clerk said WTH, I'll give
you the *XX Co. price (cash) and I got all the product for $ 50-55 per 5 gal
pail.

I find it interesting that you think it's okay to use the name of a
contractor - who by definition is in the business to make money - to
secure a little deal without approval nor compensation to the
contractor. That does create a big benefit - for you. Most people
settle for the free estimate and free information the contractor
provides.

Even if you and the contractor discussed your potentially purchasing
the materials using his account, that would only apply if you'd hired
the contractor and they were supplying the labor.

That's the view from the other side of the aisle. Ask a contractor
friend their opinion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

they asked me if I had an account..I told them the name of the painter XX
Co.that I had spoken to but
advised I was going to be doing it myself. The clerk said WTH, I'll give
you the XX Co. price (cash) and
I got all the product for $ 50-55 per 5 gal pail

I find it interesting that you think it's okay to use the name of a
contractor - who by definition is in the business to make money - to
secure a little deal without approval nor compensation to the
contractor. That does create a big benefit - for you. Most people
settle for the free estimate and free information the contractor
provides.

Read the above slowly..The store staff ASKED the question, I didn't say I
was with the company but that I was doing it myself and that the painter had
mentioned the name of their store/product. If they were content with
offering me a discount as part of their sale, (which turned out to be 120
gallons) I think it would have been pretty stupid to say: "No thanks, I'd
rather pay retail". While building that home, I ended up with several
"accounts" at the 'trade price' through various suppliers that didn't have a
problem offering me the 'big benefit' and I certainly didn't turn any of
them down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rudy wrote:

[...]

Sherwin Williams gives me a professional discount of 30% on most
products. They told me to tell my clients to mention my name when they
buy paint so my clients can get the discount. I specifically asked
whether I could just have my friends and family get the discount that
way, and the store manager said that was great.

I'm guessing that 70% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveBell" wrote in message :

Sherwin Williams gives me a professional discount of 30% on most
products. They told me to tell my clients to mention my name when they
buy paint so my clients can get the discount. I specifically asked
whether I could just have my friends and family get the discount that
way, and the store manager said that was great.

I'm guessing that 70% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

That seemed to be the way that KM paint looked at it too Steve.

Rudy wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 11:22 pm, "SteveBell"
wrote:
Rudy wrote:
they asked me if I had an account..I told them the name of the
painter XX Co.that I had spoken to but advised I was going to be
doing it myself. The clerk said WTH, I'll give you the XX Co.
price (cash) and I got all the product for $ 50-55 per 5 gal pail

"Do you have an account with us?"
"Farmer Fred Painting does but I'm going to be doing the painting."

You were attempting to capitalize on the painter's name and account
status, and you did. Lucky for you it didn't cost you anything.

[...]

Family, friends, clients - all of them have your permission to use
your company name to get a discount when they go to SW. Would you
have the same opinion if someone got an estimate from you, kicked the
tires, told you your price was too high, then went to your paint
supplier and used your name and relationship with the paint store to
get a discount?

I'm guessing that 70% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

Better for the store, not for the not-hired contractor. The store is
getting 70% or whatever, the contractor is getting nothing.

paint ur stucco loser Billy Pilgrim[_2_] Home Repair 0 July 31st 08 11:38 PM
What paint for white stucco. PaPaPeng Home Repair 10 May 10th 08 05:58 AM
Exterior Stucco Paint [email protected] Home Repair 2 May 9th 08 03:31 AM
Stucco Paint? PaPaPeng Home Repair 2 March 9th 06 06:12 AM
What is the best stucco paint Walter R. Home Repair 0 February 21st 06 02:02 AM