Posted to rec.woodworking
Hoosierpopi Hoosierpopi is offline

Default Should I use my Radial Arm saw or my Table Saw to cut a 2 x4length wise

On Sep 20, 6:41*pm, pete wrote:
I have 2 nice saws and have to cut a 2x4 in half length wise. My son
approached the Table Saw, and I suggested the Radial Arm saw. My
Radial Arm saw is a compound Rockwell saw, that allows me to move the
lower arm into a position so I can push the 2 x 4 from the side that
has the splitter. My son likes to do it on the Table Saw right along
the fence. To be honest, could I get a feeling what you guys do?
Please don't laugh about this dumb question, but I don't like to argue
or tell my son what to do, and I'm too old to remember which way to do
it....Thank you in advance........PM

TS w/Good Out feed support and a feather board in place. Check to see
the bow on the 2-by and put the "high side" against the fence so the
blade will be on the "inside" of even the slightest bow.Yes, ths is
what I'm "used to" and, no, my RAS is not yet setup in is ten foot
table. But I bet its easier and safer to secure the material as
indicated and push it through from the end than to lean over the RAS
table and try and slide it with the resistance of all that contact
with the table and the setup for the RAS is more complex than raisng
the TS blade and setting the fence and feather board.

Now, you never said much about junior's expeience. Maybe he's a
framing guy or in the furnirure business and has a better shop then
you and, despite the difference in years, more experience in these
things. If so, defer by all means - but let him make the cut!