Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Sears garage door closer - won't close

On Sep 20, 8:40*pm, John Keith wrote:
Sears garage door operator won't close the door. Here are some
details:

- double wide metal door, no insulation so it is fairly light
- both torsion springs just professionally replaced (one had broken,
* not sure if problem existed before this change, it isn't my door)
- door operates easily when disconnected from opener
- Sears chain operated opener, maybe 10 years old
- door opens without problem with the opener
- when closing the door with opener it stops and reverses almost
* at the beginning of the cycle, that is, within 6"-12" of top
- if the wall button is held continuously the door will close
* completely
- this problem does not occur early morning or early evening (the
* weekday times the opener is operated) temperature problem?
- I tried to adjust the down force control on the opener but it had no
* effect

Any ideas about what the problem might be or what to look for?

John Keith

Symptoms you describe indicates a "safety system reversing".

here is the key one.....

- if the wall button is held continuously the door will close completely

The GDO "thinks" something is in the way.

Force adjustment is not the solution.

Make sure the electric eye system is clean & pointed correctly,
red (or green) lights on top of electric eye housings should be
continuously lit.

cheers
Bob