Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sears garage door closer - won't close

Sears garage door operator won't close the door. Here are some
details:

- double wide metal door, no insulation so it is fairly light
- both torsion springs just professionally replaced (one had broken,
not sure if problem existed before this change, it isn't my door)
- door operates easily when disconnected from opener
- Sears chain operated opener, maybe 10 years old
- door opens without problem with the opener
- when closing the door with opener it stops and reverses almost
at the beginning of the cycle, that is, within 6"-12" of top
- if the wall button is held continuously the door will close
completely
- this problem does not occur early morning or early evening (the
weekday times the opener is operated) temperature problem?
- I tried to adjust the down force control on the opener but it had no
effect

Any ideas about what the problem might be or what to look for?

John Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 10:40*pm, John Keith wrote:
[...]

Does the sensor that reverses the door when something breaks the light
beam have something blocking the light beam so the opener thinks there
is a kidlett or animal under the door. If it closes by your holding
the button, does it open ok. If so, it is almost surely the safety
detector that wa misaimed when someone bumped inot it.

Bob Hofmann
Posted to alt.home.repair

- this problem does not occur early morning or early evening

The light sensors are dirty. Wipe them clean.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 8:40*pm, John Keith wrote:
[...]

Symptoms you describe indicates a "safety system reversing".

here is the key one.....

- if the wall button is held continuously the door will close completely

The GDO "thinks" something is in the way.

Force adjustment is not the solution.

Make sure the electric eye system is clean & pointed correctly,
red (or green) lights on top of electric eye housings should be
continuously lit.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 21, 2:17*am, BobK207 wrote:
[...]

Bob- Hide quoted text -

It sounds like Bob is right, but it is still possible that it could
have an alignment issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

- this problem does not occur early morning or early evening

The light sensors are dirty. Wipe them clean.

Monitor the sensors while you try to close the door.

Mine were showing a steady green light until the motion of the door caused
them to move just enough to break the circuit.

A simple adjustment and making sure the bolts were tight is all it took.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was able to look at the door again today. I cleaned the lenses and
checked the alignment. I was able to verify the green LED was working
at one sensor and I think the other sensor is yellow. But in any case
the door did cycle correctly once for me before I had to leave. I'll
see what results the owner has over the next few days.

John Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 20:49:56 -0600, John Keith wrote:

I was able to look at the door again today. I cleaned the lenses and
checked the alignment. I was able to verify the green LED was working
at one sensor and I think the other sensor is yellow. But in any case
the door did cycle correctly once for me before I had to leave. I'll
see what results the owner has over the next few days.

Oh, thanks everyone for the tip!

John Keith