Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using Extension Cord with Freezer

On Sep 20, 10:55*pm, wrote:
Hello,

* * * * I just purchased a 7 CFT Magic Chef Freezer from the Home
Depot. The place that I want to place it is about 6 feet from the
nearest electrical outlet. Reading the manual it states not to use
extension cords of any kind. Is the reason they put this on for fear
the consumer will try to use a standard electric cord and cause a fire
or is it something else? I plan on getting a 15A with a 14 gauge or 12
gauge wire. The line that it is attached to goes to a 15 amp circuit
and seeing that it hasn't tripped he line while it is running I should
be ok. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Yeah - They're worried you would use a lamp cord type extension cord,
or one of those kight-weight orange or green outdoor extension cords
that are fine for small leafb;lowers, but not much else. If you gat
an extension cord with 14 ga wire, it should be ok, a 12 gauge wire
would be better. If it is only 10 feet or so long, it is not any
different than if the freezer was on a circuit that was 10 ft feet
farther from the circuit breaker or fuse box. Make sure the prongs
and the female end of the extension cord are secure, ir, the mating
plugs are making good contact to eliinate any overrrrrheating at the
plug-in points. Then check it out once in a while to see that things
are still fine.

Good idea to ask, you are on the right track.

Bob Hofmann