Posted to alt.home.repair
John Keith John Keith is offline

Default Sears garage door closer - won't close

Sears garage door operator won't close the door. Here are some
details:

- double wide metal door, no insulation so it is fairly light
- both torsion springs just professionally replaced (one had broken,
not sure if problem existed before this change, it isn't my door)
- door operates easily when disconnected from opener
- Sears chain operated opener, maybe 10 years old
- door opens without problem with the opener
- when closing the door with opener it stops and reverses almost
at the beginning of the cycle, that is, within 6"-12" of top
- if the wall button is held continuously the door will close
completely
- this problem does not occur early morning or early evening (the
weekday times the opener is operated) temperature problem?
- I tried to adjust the down force control on the opener but it had no
effect

Any ideas about what the problem might be or what to look for?

John Keith