Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Looking for a hard felt washer 1/2" x 1" x 1/8"

On 2008-09-19, Christopher Tidy wrote:

Hi folks,

I am repairing an electric motor for a friend. The centrifugal switch is
broken. It needs a replacement felt washer as the original has worn
down. It needs to be a hard felt washer (not the kind which is rubber

[ ... ]

You can get sheet hard felt from McMaster Carr (among other
places). You can use arch punches to cut the ID and the OS -- and the
main question is "how critical is the concentricity"?. This is the same
kind of felt used to make way wipers.

Probably not that critical. I have just been sent a pair of fairly hard
felt washers of the correct size by a company as a free sample.

Great!

Hopefully these will work, but if not someone else has suggested I try
leather (not sure how easy it is to find leather which is 1/8" thick,
though).

Hmm ... my belt is averaging abound 0.147", so it could be
sanded down to the needed thickness.

I will let people know how it turns out.

Good luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564