Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Filling a window sill

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
If u can get the wood dry, and then apply a very runny resin to it
that soaks into the rotten fibres and stabilises (and seals against
more water ingress)
That's an essential preparatory step, IMO, and proprietary 2-part
'wood hardener' products are available for the purpose. Any
decorators' merchant will have some.

Fibreglass resin is cheaper, and essentially the same thing

It's a lot thicker than the stuff I tried, so would it actually soak into
the wood?

depends. It can be thinned as well..not sure what with tho.

It should if warmed a bit with a heat gun at least soak into the surface
enough to fully stabilize it: provided the punky stuff is all removed
first, then it wont be a bad solution at all.

Acetone I think, but styrene also thins it IIRC. Both available from GRP
suppliers