Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Petrol contaminated with diesel

Cerberus . wrote:
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 23:23:08 +0100, wrote:

On 19 Sep,
Kevin wrote:

the diesel engine was perfected 1897,

I doubt if it has yet been perfected, judging by the black smoke emitted by
some modern vehicles, mainly taxis.

Don't forget buses. Many a time I've been stuck in traffic behind one on my
motorbike listening to the tuneful sound of my engine 'pinking' whilst
coughing my head off!

Don.

My recent experience has been that some of the heaviest diesel vehicles
(artics and other heavy lorries) have been far, far less smokey than
many cars and vans, etc. (Buses I find to be quite variable in the good
to medium range.)

It is usually some poxy little car that makes me switch over to air
recirculation.

Perhaps at the top of the ranges the panoply of control devices has
actually achieved the apparent cleanliness we want? Or maybe the excess
cost of the fuel wasted (when not burned as well as possible) is
starting to make maintenance worthwhile? Or is it the London
Low-Emission Zone regulations having an effect?

(And of petrol vehicles, it has to be lawn mowers and tiny, buzzy bikes
that are worst.)

--
Rod

onset.