Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default How to move a Bridgeport

On 2008-09-19, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane wrote:
This has been asked here before, but it's been awhile.

Series II machine. Not sure of table length.

I'd be alone.

Not on palette in photo.

How much does a Series II machine weigh?

That depends on various things -- such as whether it is a CNC
machine or not.

Just as a staring point, a Series I (not your Series II) with
the BOSS-3 CNC configuration weighs in at about 3500 pounds. Not
exactly a feather. :-) But the machine's own weight is augmented by the
big stepper motors, the ball-screws, and the massive collection of
transformers (and mag amps) in the housing on the back. I would just
guess (with *no* firm knowledge) that a manual Series II might be about
the same weight as a CNC Series I.

Would a lift truck handle the weight?

My Series I was delivered on a flatbed truck, and needed a
rental fork lift to get it off the truck and up to my garage.

Is there a better option than a lift truck?

A flatbed truck -- and a fork lift at each end.

Or perhaps a tilt-bed wrecker.

What do I need to rent to pick it up and get it on the truck?

It needs to be on a good strong pallet.

if the truck is anything other than a tilt-bed wrecker, I think
that a fork lift is the only way to go.

The opening in my shop door is 35" wide.

Obviously I've got to take off the table. How do you do that?

Maybe not. I have read reports of people working a mill through
a narrow door by running the table all the way to one side, sticking the
base and the near end of the table through at a bit of an angle,
cranking the table all the way to the other side (so the bulk of the
table is now inside) and moving the mill the rest of the way through the
door. Not sure whether this will be possible with your size of door and
a Series II (I know that they are bigger than my Series I, but I don't
know how much bigger), but if the base will go through the door with a
few extra inches to spare to allow coming in at an angle, you might be
able to make it with the table in place.

How heavy is the table?

You don't want to know! :-) To remove it, I think that it would
need a hydraulic table on each side to support it and jack it up the
vertical ways while you remove the tapered gibs and get it totally
clear. I think that a fork lift would be the better choice there too --
except that if you are having trouble getting the mill through the door,
the same applies to the fork lift. Hmm ... perhaps a pallet jack?

What am I missing?

A bigger door.

What should a bare Series II machine with a broken table drive, but
all else, including DRO working sell for?

Sorry -- I don't know. It has been too many years since I
bought mine, and it was a Series I, with a very obsolete CNC setup.

I don't know backlash on
feed screws or looseness of table at this point. Can't get away to
see it this weekend, but if it's still around, maybe the next weekend.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564