Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.homepower
ransley ransley is offline

Default Honda generators

On Sep 19, 12:52*pm, zxcvbob wrote:
Vaughn Simon wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I want to be able to run my furnace blower, gas oven ignitors, refrigerator,
TV, laptop computer, and a few fluorescent lights during an extended power
outage during the winter. Or during the summer, the same thing except a 8000
BTU (11 EER) window A/C instead of the furnace.

* *If you expect that the EU will normally be loaded above 1000 watts, you will
get little benefit from the inverter technology. *The really great thing about
the inverter units is that they modulate engine speed depending on load.. *Over
about 60% load (the EU 2000 is really only rated at 1600 watts) your EU will be
reving like any other generator, and you will have given up most of the reason
for all of that extra electronics, co$t, and *complexity.

The refrigerator doesn't run all the time, it cycles on/off. *And I
/might/ not have to run the A/C. *Even running a few hundred fewer RPM's
for half the runtime has got to be easier on the engine. *I expect it
will be running less than 1000W most of the time, but I wonder if it has
enough surge capacity (The Yamaha 2400 is an honest 2000W inverter and
it's rated 6000W for 3 seconds. *I like that. *It also weighs a lot
more; not sure if it can be shipped UPS Ground.)

I need to wait another couple of weeks for Texas to be powered-up again,
then start calling the generator dealers. *Especially the ones in
Wisconsin because it's not so far/expensive to ship from there.

Bob

How are you hooking it up, you realy need a transfer panel with what
you plan on using, At Lowes I got a Generac 5500-7500 gen for 600$
with a free pre wired 6 circuit with 2 amp meter transfer panel. Your
usage puts you at least in the 3000w range